Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pre-season Training - Day 1

I started out this training season with a bang - a 12 mile run with Kathryn! Ok, so it was more of a run/walk kind of thing and we definitely didn't set any records for speed, but it was a lot of fun catching up with her and running in Dublin (California, not Ireland). We had perfect weather and ran on a paved trail that was fairly flat. 

1st week of workouts:
Monday - 30 min swim
Tuesday - Speed drills on the track
Wednesday - 40 min swim
Thursday - short run and weights at the gym
Friday - rest
Saturday - 1 hr bike
Sunday - Reverse brick (1:10 run, immediately followed by a 30 min bike)
I'm starting out pretty easy so it should be fun!


Along with starting my training this week, I'm also starting to count calories again. So yesterday I walked to Monterey Market, which is 1.3 miles from my apartment. I like going there for a couple of reasons: 1. It's a nice walk and with 2.6 miles roundtrip, I feel like I'm getting a mini-workout while I run errands. It's also uphill the whole way home when I have a backpack full of groceries so it definitely feels like I'm working. And 2. It's cheap!
I got all this produce for $13.72!! 
(Those are dried cranberries in the corner. They don't look so good in this pic, but they are. And there's an avocado hiding in there. Those are usually pricey, but this one was only $0.70!)

Unfortunately, only the produce is cheap there so then I went to Trader Joe's for everything else. But now I'm mostly stocked for the week! For dinner tonight: Lemon dill tilapia, steamed broccoli, and this squash and apple side dish (it's been in the crock pot all afternoon and now my apartment smells Amazing!). I'm excited.

What are your favorite healthy recipes? 

3 comments:

  1. why wont it remember my comments?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok well i made a very important comment before that said I don't have any good recipes, I'm still just in the grilled chicken salad mode but you inspire me to buy a crockpot! And I went on a 3.2 mile run yesterday =) Wait how long is your "short" run on thursday? It better be less than 3! =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. My short run will be 1.8 mi total. 0.9 mi to the gym, then workout with some cardio machines and lifting weights, then 0.9 mi home.
    Excellent job on the run yesterday! Let me know when you get the crockpot. I have a bunch of awesome recipes!

    ReplyDelete